From Jordan to Corner Canyon

Pharoah-Malik Davis, Journalist

It’s a love-hate relationship over at Jordan High School when it comes to coach and teacher Eric Kjar. The soon to be former Jordan High School football and track coach is going to be furthering his coaching talents at soon to be rival Corner Canyon. Kjar has devoted 12+ years of his life to Jordan and the programs in which he participated in, and within those years, he developed a relationship with Principal Tom Sherwood who has been at Jordan for 13+ years. These two have developed a close relationship, making them more than boss and employee, but friends.

Jordan’s Principal, Tom Sherwood said “I don´t take it personally because everybody needs to do what makes them happy because life is too short. While I will miss him, I do understand that sometimes a fresh start is a good thing.” Sherwood was clear on his relationship with Kjar, Sherwood shared what he would miss most about Kjar, “The trait I will miss the most is his candor even though it can sometimes be uncensored, he is honest and upfront.”

Another individual who has developed a relationship with Kjar is Jordan High’s Star athlete Crew Wakely.

Crew Wakely shows the tension of losing his head coach, “My personal relationship with Kjar is what makes it seem like I’m losing a friend, losing him is a sad loss for Jordan, but we (the Football Team) will be fine as a team without him.” Wakely will be entering his Senior year without his head coach, the one who helped turn him into an All-State Athlete, but Crew doesn’t use that as an excuse to not have that kind of impact and performance again this upcoming season.

Sherwood and Crew both admit the majority of the success for the football team came because of his coaching abilities and knowing the game. Corner Canyon will have the same opportunity of success coming from a great coach in Kjar next season. Good Luck to Eric Kjar and his future endeavors at Corner Canyon High School.

However, the Diggers will continue to dominate in the upcoming new region.